Sunday, August 10, 2008

i heart pukkola!

I go through these phases where I alternate between bounding out the door in the morning, gobbling down an espresso/coffee/cold cheese pizza/last night's chinese takeout noodles (yes, working in a kitchen does make your diet rather beige...) and then rather self-consciously decide, usually on a sunday (the one day I don't have to work, hooray) that it's high time I eat some real food, something feel-good, something vaguely healthy dammit!

It's on those days that I turn to my own instant version of the tried and true hippy dippy greatness that Jamie Oliver so sweetly calls pukkola...it's basically a loose recipe for bircher-style muesli, where rolled oats and dried fruits are soaked overnight in milk with a grated apple, and right before serving, topped with more fresh fruits.

Although I do like the pudding-like creaminess that the soaking gives the grains, I have to be honest and admit that I don't always have the wherewithal to plan my breakfasts, so I often go with my own version...

(my quickie adaptation of) Jamie's Pukkola

8 large handfuls of rolled oats
2 large handfuls of ground bran
1 handful of chopped dried apricots
1 handful of chopped dried dates
1 handful of crushed walnuts
1 handful of almonds, hazelnuts or brazil nuts

*I added some sunflower seeds and dried cranberries too...(I love "recipes" like this where you can add all your favourite things.)

Fresh fruits or berries; strawberries, blueberries and sliced bananas are my faves
Cold, cold milk

Combine all the dry ingredients. Will keep very well in an airtight plastic or glass container.

To serve, scoop a few spoonfuls of your muesli mix into your favourite bowl, add enough cold milk to cover and sprinkle liberally with cut fruit and berries. Or, you could sprinkle the muesli onto creamy yogurt and top it off with bananas, blueberries and honey....soooo good!


IMG_3502
Pukkola, before. I was really lazy this time and didn't do the overnight soak, but even with a quick splash of milk (almond for me, yummy), it's still delicious.


IMG_3504
All of my favourite dried fruits; cranberries, apricots and dates.


IMG_3512
I couldn't decide between blueberries and raspberries, so both it is!

IMG_3508
Berries, they rock.

IMG_3515
I feel healthier just looking at this. (Does that make up for the poutine I had for dinner last night?)


IMG_3513
I hope you give this recipe a try, whether it's the full deal, or my quickie version; it really is amazing. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm this looks yummy! It looks healthier (and more appealing) than the cardboard cereal I've been eating every morning.

    The photographs are lovely, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmh, that looks so good! I love this kind of muesli, too. Must go and soak my oats before bed. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks oh so delicious and healthy! I'm a big fan of anything with oats, fruit and nuts in it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. s.a. - Thanks so much...I think berries do make everything happier!

    honeybee - It's definitely a nice change from the usual granola/bran thing for breakfast. (Although a good fry up is also nice...) Off to soak for me too!

    kristina - And it's great to find nice fresh fruits this time of year, very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete