Thursday, April 3, 2008

A few of my favourite things...

It looks as if spring has finally sprung today; I had my first strolling-whilst-licking-ice-cream-cone and shorts-with-shiny-flats sighting this afternoon! (The latter definitely being more hopeful/wistful than the former - we Torontonians are such an optimistic bunch when it comes to the weather.)

The cheery sunshine has got the ol' mojo working, and like bear coming out of hibernation, I feel as if I'm starved for some serious grub. As someone who likes thinking about food nearly as much as eating the actual thing, days like this are a sort of all-you-can-eat mental buffet. I've got a couple of my favourite things on the brain, some snacks that always please, some dishes to inspire, tastes I can't wait to try again, and those few special things I just can't live without.

Dedicated to those raindrops on roses and those wee little whiskers on kittens, here, are just a few of...you know:

Dumplings

IMG_0128
Gyozas

First, and perhaps closest to my heart, dumplings. Potstickers, gyozas, be they steamed, boiled or fried, the dumpling in all its individually wrapped, crispy, juicy bite-sized glory is truly a thing of beauty.

IMG_0216
Men At Work (does anyone else remember this band?)

IMG_0214
Behold, the shao long bao!!

It's my own personal belief that the absolute king of dumplings has got the be shao long bao. (The most awesome example of which my friend M and I had the good fortune to sample in a ram packed dumpling house in Shanghai...another story there!) Mmm, tender soup-filled dumplings. The black vinegar and ginger dipping sauce is pretty much the best thing ever too.



Caprese salad, with mozzarella di buffala

DSC01006

I have a very special spot in my heart (and several in my belly, it seems) for buffalo mozzarella. I will, and have been known to inhale a whole blob of its silky concentrated dairyness, a la Nigella, that is, by myself, late at night, as I sneak away from the fridge.



Chocolate croissants from St. Lawrence Market



Nothing satisfies my sweet tooth better.



Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk, to finish a meal, at Pho Hung.


I love the set-up. Condensed milk in mug? Check. Grounds a brewin' percolating down? Check. Thermos of hot water handy? Check. Eat that, Starbucks!




Underneath lies sweet creamy coffee love.



The parmesan dusted fries at Thuet.



Crispy, cheesy, deep fried goodness.

A whole platter of potatoes, deep fried, then tossed in parmesan cheese. What kind of genius is that? (Think poutine with these would be overkill?)



Mrs. Whyte's ridiculously huge pickle (serves 2)


This mamba jamba is hee-ooge. Like kind of giggle and blush big.




I think this may be the same brand that gets served with Scwartz's killer smoked meat sandwiches. Either way, this is the perfect pickle. Great pucker to crunch ratio!



The fresh pasta guy, Saturday mornings at the market.


Am I the only one that gets excited by reading this sign?


Like a grown up, and infinitely tastier, version of our childhood Plah-Doh sets...






The start of an amazing meal...



Black truffle-infused pecorino moliterno

DSC01017
My current cheese obsession.

This, shaved over your lovely fresh pasta, drizzled with a touch of extra virgin olive oil...my idea of heaven!



Artichokes; boiled, fried, baked, roasted....



And dipped in butter, or aioli, or simply tossed in olive oil and a bit of lemon, or served raw, cleaned and very thinly sliced, tossed with arugula and parmesan shavings...



Tomatoes with a sprinkling of crunchy Maldon sea salt


Oh, this makes me wish summer would hurry up and get here already!



Crunch. Squish! The best part is that your face actually makes a smile when you bite into a tomato like this...you can't help but be happy!

So, those are just a few of my faves...what about yours?

1 comment:

  1. My favourite food things:

    - Freshly baked bread with butter
    - Freshly baked pound cake
    - Lemon Meringue Pie
    - Lobster with butter

    I see a trend here...

    I'm sure there are lots more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete