Sunday, November 9, 2008

to market, to market

I met my friend M this past thursday for a little field trip to the farmer's market at Dufferin Grove. What a fun, gorgeous, tummy-warming afternoon...we'll have to do it again soon!

IMG_4847
Everything is golden!


IMG_4848

IMG_4852
We saw (and smelled) some focaccia with onions and rosemary being baked in the communal wood oven.

IMG_4857
So inspiring...makes me want to eat my veggies.


IMG_4846
A lovely man was selling homemade ginger beer and sorrel juice...very natural and sweet-tart tasting stuff.

IMG_4845
We could not miss this: Butterfish sammie with fried plantains, avocado and pickled peppers and red onions....really, really good.


IMG_4856
Some more unusual things we saw, local funny looking butternuts ...

IMG_4855
...and tiny sweet chestnuts.


IMG_4860
Contemplating bringing a loaf or two home.



IMG_4863
We decided to treat ourselves to some seriously decadent hot cocoa and cookies.



And just in case you were wondering what I did bring home:


IMG_4869

An itty bitty chicken from Beretta Farms, (the rest not shown) some local eggs, a cool looking bunch of tatsoi (I've never tried it before, looks like skinny baby bok choy, will let you know how that goes) and some pea sprouts.

I think the perfect fall afternoon put me in the mood for a nice roast chicken dinner...

IMG_4873

Ready just in time to watch the new 30 Rock episode!

1 comment:

  1. Sorrel and chestnuts are delicious signs of the upcoming holiday season!

    ReplyDelete