Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Happy (belated) Year of the Ox



Ok, ok, so I'm a bit (ok, a lot) belated, but here's wishing you gung hei fat choy - a very Happy Chinese New Year to you! With it being the Year of the Ox and all, I was feeling all inspired to celebrate with the obvious little play. So here it is (or was, rather) my happy dinner that helped ring in that happy new year, Chinese-style brasied oxtail.


IMG_5397

A little flour dusting, then off to sear until nice and dark golden...



IMG_5400

My favourite new pot. Another awesome gift from D.


So in there we've got some stock, dark and light soy, brown sugar, splash of chinese cooking wine, bits of ginger, garlic, green onion, carrot and star anise...and simmer, simmer my little dinner.

Ooh, and by the magic of tv, here's what it looked like about an hour and a half later...


IMG_5404
Gooey, sticky, happy.



(I'm still on the brown rice kick; my fragrant-polished-white-jasmine-rice eating mom is kinda mystified about that. Whole grains, schmole grains, the asian kid has gone rogue! But I digress.)



IMG_5413
Urm, slurpy fattiness...



IMG_5408



It's nice to have an excuse to celebrate the oxtail. And with that new years meal under my belt, it was time to celebrate like it was 4709...


No comments:

Post a Comment